Duckett's Dot

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Karen Fletcher, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Sure Ray, still looking for rads of mare that I trim 3/8" off to the lateral/outside of both front feet. rads were taken at 6 weeks; shows a portion/aspect at a point in time of balance. :)
  2. Offline

Tom Bloomer Well-Known Member

That explains why you glow in the dark, George . . . ;)
  3. Offline

DeniseMc Member

Or from the mechanic's wrong idea of balance:
    (the one from "long toe" thread)

[ good shoeing.jpg ATTACH=full]1553[/ATTACH]
  4. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Owner neglect. These feet didn't get this way overnight. Take your BF nonsense somewhere else Denise.
  5. Offline

DeniseMc Member

Really? Who said anything about barefoot??????? I think Eric has done an outstanding job turning them around. (Oh wait..no... it's the neglectful owner that is turning those around-owner is all of a sudden no longer neglectful)
    Owner neglect?? Not necessarily, especially if the mechanic happens to be really good at BS. (As farrier pats little girl on the head. ....now, now you don't need to go worrying your pretty little head over fluffy's feet) some owners come here posting questions for farriers and they continually get raked over the coals, told how stupid they are etc. when all's they are trying to do is educate themselves. Some farriers have got their owners trained not to go asking stupid silly questions about '"balance" or dots or bridges....... and some owners don't settle for status quo nor allow themselves to be kept in the dark ages.
  6. Offline

ray steele Administrator

is there anymore discussion of "Ducketts Dot" to be had or should this be closed?

Ray
  7. Offline

Mr. Perry Active Member

Your the Captain, "Boss".
  8. Offline

david a hall Moderator

Tis a good thread this, not due for closure just yet.
    We all percieve things differently, but looking at feet and trying to get them into a proportion that pleases the eye is a leap forward!!! we all know when it looks long when it looks short, high ,low etc, we know what we want but the sensitive structures get in the way and negate our best efforts. If it were easy we would all be shoeing Gods :D
  9. Offline

Eric Russell Active Member

I wouldn't be so sure. I need to call scruggs and give him my thoughts and see if he can put it in writing. I don't think there is much distortion in that foot and I think it can be proven mathematically. What's scruggs number?
  10. Offline

scruggs1 Active Member

No one has nor ever will master the hoof. Don't know about Duckett, but Jaye has and will make that admission freely.

If you know it when you see it, you must be a god.

I have relative confidence in my ability to decide to what degree a foot/shoe set conforms to my individualized ideal of balance, however, I am also very aware that my personal, idealized construct of balance is my opinion. I would like to think that my ideal is in the ball park of the greatest benefit to the horse, but I would be deceiving myself if I said that I was certain.

100% agreement with that.

Going to start a new ‘balance’ thread...

You have it and it would be good to hear from you again...been a while. Will be seeing you next year at the contests for sure.
  11. Offline

smitty88 Well-Known Member

AGREED with what you say Scruggs 1